Monday 12 January 2015

Roadster on the Mountain

A bit like the UK - Cape Town can be wonderful - but not in the rain. I went down to deliver Arnold Cloete's 3.7L Roadster and it rained until I was back on the plane. Unfortunately the pictures reflect the weather and don't show off the car to it's best. The Roadster is Sports Grey with loom upholstery (a dark brown.) I was concerned about this but I'm delighted to say that it looks magnificent - and you won't find another like it - anywhere. 
Terrible lighting but i assure you the car is beautiful

This car reflects the uniqueness of Arnold's Harley which too, is like no other. I love it. The Roadster shares the garage space with the Harley and a Porsche just below the cable car station. You can imagine the view!

I didn't have an opportunity to try the performance of the car but it certainly is more torquey than the 3L Roadster and the best bit perhaps is the 6-speed gearbox. It grumbles along in a very grown-up fashion on the freeway. I really like the new dash-board and instruments too. Very up to date.

After delivering the Moggie my son and daughter -in-law took me to lunch at Societi Bistro in Orange street, Gardens.A real Cape Town foodie experience - complete with very loud fellow diners at the next table making sure that you knew of their on-going university connections by scouring the pronunciation of every vowel and consonant. Eves-dropping was not optional - it was obligatory.

Pork belly futures I've heard of in the financial world but have never eaten. They are on the menu and were recommended by the guy who seemed to know his Ps and Qs. It comes with a sauce called a Liquorice Lacquer. I don't know what it means but it is one of those dishes I will never forget. So impressive.

Turns out I'm vaguely related to Chef Steph, who is, they say, the soul of Societi. Never met him but I've only heard really good reports - especially from his mom - my cousin!

I'll be back in Cape Town soon to meet my 2nd Granddaughter - due very soon.
Please don't rain!



No comments: